I did not have a choice. No one asked me my opinion. A list of options, neatly itemized on a piece of paper, were not slid across the table for me to make a selection. I was ascribed one, and one is all I have. I am sure that my parents enjoyed long, meandering conversations filled with laughter and quick witted replies. In the end, a final decision was made and the rest is history.
My name: Christopher Loren Trethewey
There is something powerful with a name. You might have been given a name handed down from generation to generation. Your name might include a significant person from years past or from a television show that your mother loved watching. No matter the storyline behind your name, you have a name and it is your name.
Moses, probably still in a state of shock and absolute bewilderment, asked a simple question. The answer he received, was anything but simple. Moses said, “If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, ‘The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ they will ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what should I tell them?” (Exodus 3:13) God replied with three variations of the same name. 1) I am; 2) I am who I am. 3) Yahweh. The name Yahweh and the name I AM are built out of the same Hebrew word (hayah). (Read more here.)
God’s chosen name is relational in nature and all encompassing. His name draws you into the essence of His love and deep care. And at the same time, paints a descriptive picture revealing who He truly is.
I AM is CREATOR
“For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.” Romans 1:20
I AM is not OVERWHELMED
I AM is IN CHARGE
“From eternity to eternity I am God. No one can snatch anyone out of my hand. No one can undo what I have done.” Isaiah 43:14
I AM is LOVE
The Reality of Today
We might not be able to change all the issues, flaws, and seismic tragedies that this world seems to relentlessly levy upon us. Hold on to the truth that God is God. Nothing surprises or shocks Him. Nothing is in motion that He hasn’t allowed to happen. Nothing is outside His power to change. Nothing.Trust God. He has this all in his control. He has called us to put love into action and point people to Him.
Today, love someone.
- That someone who is always taking from you and never even remotely thinks about your needs.
- That someone who keeps posting their political views on Facebook with absolute disregard for anyone else. (And yes, even the person posting cat videos.)
- That someone who cuts you off at the intersection and then takes the last open gas pump.
- That someone who has perfected the list of words that has the power to wreak havoc to your emotional epicenter.
- That someone who has made his mission to destroy your career.
- That someone who just needs a hug, a smile, or a genuine encouraging word.
- That someone who has received devastating news from the doctor.
And tomorrow, repeat.