I had an idea. Yes, this is always a dangerous undertaking. I knew I needed a great off season training plan as I focus on my 2014 racing schedule. My goal is to complete two 70.3 Ironman races in 2014. Running a marathon will help get me back into racing shape, work on my running, and keep me active during the winter months. Plus, I haven’t ran a marathon since 2006. I sat down at my computer and started to look at various options. I quickly came across the Washington D.C. Rock n’ Roll Marathon. Back in 2010 I ran the Las Vegas Rock n’ Roll 1/2 marathon. The Rock n’ Roll marathon series always puts together great events.
I registered. I smiled. I felt good with myself.
I then posted it on Facebook. Why? Because it is always important to publicly declare your goals. It is a great motivational and accountability tool.
And then it happened. A pivot moment.
PIVOT: Elevate Purpose
Something that took him 6.7 seconds to write, shifted my entire perspective. Why didn’t I think about that? I was focused on me – my goal – my plans. I was feeling good about what I was going to accomplish, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Juampa, in a simple Facebook comment, elevated the purpose of my run.
World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organization dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. You can discover more about World Vision here. Team World Vision (TWV) specifically partners with athlete’s to impact lives around the world. The focus of TWV is water, hygiene, and sanitation efforts in Africa. More on what TWV is accomplishing here.
1. Elevate Purpose:
- What are you goals for 2014? How can you elevate the purpose of your goals?
- Do you have a race scheduled for 2014? Sign up with TWV. It is simple – click here.
2. Run with Me:
- Run the Rock n’ Roll half or full marathon with me. Sign up here.
- Currently there is not a TWV team running the Washington D.C. Rock n’ Roll marathon. If this interests you, contact me and we can put a team together.
3. Partner with Me:
- I am raising $1310 ($50 per mile) to provide water for one child in Africa. Lack of access to safe water is the #1 preventable cause of death on earth. More on this here.
- Partner with me financially to hit this goal. Click here. (All gifts are tax-deductible.)
(Kim and I also sponsor a child from Compassion International. Compassion is another great organization making a huge impact world-wide!)
Let me know how you are going to elevate the purpose of your 2014 goals.